Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Say NO to Soda Taxes


I disagree a hundred percent with soda Taxes, not just because I’m a big fan of soda (Coca-Cola) but also because I’m pretty sure that taxes won’t stop people from buying sweetened beverages. If soda is really affecting us, “both activists and the government should take immediate steps to make it illegal”. As the advertising Age states even though this quote asserts that it won’t happen, it wouldn’t be a bad idea. I would personally not buy it if I know I’ll get in trouble for drinking it. If you think about it, does a couple of cents would really stop you from buying a drink that you already taste in your mouth as soon as you go inside that grocery store? …Yea it wouldn’t stop me either. For example sometimes when I go to the store I always want to buy a little bottle of coke but then I rather pay a couple of cents more and just get the litter, and the funny thing is that is always like that. I drink coke probably 4 to 5 times a week and every time I’m around the house even though I just want a little sip I still go and get the big one. So I think this idea of putting taxes in sodas is not going to help anyone but the governments. Another quote says “soda, by itself, isn’t a silent killer. And soda taxes aren’t a miracle cure for anything other than budget gaps” sarcastic, but real. Quotes like this make me think twice before even considering the idea of accepting these taxes. If the price goes up by a big amount maybe then we would stop buying these drinks but a couple of cents won’t make a difference, it would only help “others” budgets and that’s when I wonder does the government really care about the country’s health?

"Soda Taxes Are Nothing More Than A Money Grab." Advertising Age 15 Mar. 2010, NEWS sec

No comments:

Post a Comment